Obtain Citizenship in Malaysia
|Ways to obtain citizenship in Malaysia
|Citizenship by naturalization after permanent residence for more than 10 years in Malaysia
Documents for citizenship application in Malaysia
- application form C,
- valid ID,
- entry permit for Malaysia,
- documents for spouse and children,
- birth certificate
Knowledge of Malay language as a requirement (YES/NO)
|Age requirements for citizenship application
|Over 21 years old
|Living requirements in Malaysia (YES/NO)
|Residence or direct citizenship option
Based on a points system in Malaysia
|Direct immigration with family members
Yes, spouses, children, parents, and grandparents are accepted into the program.
|Health insurance and other medical requirements
A health insurance with validity in Malaysia is solicited, alongside a medical examination made in the country.
|Citizenship processing time (approx.)
Around 3 months
|Additional financial requirements for family members (YES/NO)
|Is citizenship in Malaysia application possible for minors?
Yes, the parent or the guardian is in charge of the application, documents, and representation of the minor. One of the parents must be Malaysian.
|Dual citizenship permitted
Malaysia does not accept dual citizenship.
|Reasons to choose Malaysia
- great business opportunities,
- affordable costs of living,
- optimal choice for digital nomads
|Personal income tax rate
It ranges between 24% and 30%, depending on the registered income in Malaysia.
|Visa-free travel to other countries (approx. number of countries)
How to get citizenship in Malaysia – Short steps to consider
- Foreigners living for at least 10 years in Malaysia can apply for citizenship.
- Proving knowledge of the Malay language is another important requirement for Malaysian citizenship application.
- In terms of documents, the personal identification documents, birth certificates, entry permits, specific forms, and identity cards of Malaysian recommenders are solicited.
According to Malaysian Nationality Law, all persons born in Malaysia between 31 August 1957 - and 1 October 1962 received citizenship by birth, no matter the origin of the parents. However, after this date, persons born in Malaysia must provide proof of Malaysian parents, particularly one of them.
Foreigners in Malaysia can buy properties in Malaysia at a minimum price of MYR 1 million to apply for citizenship. However, state approval is required, which can take up to 6 months. Candidates will then follow the residence permit and citizenship requirements.
You can discover information on this topic in the following infographic:
Obtaining citizenship by having a Malaysian parent
Some of the conditions to apply for Malaysian citizenship refer to having medical insurance in the country, some medical tests too, and a police clearance certificate showing there is no criminal record. The medical tests should be made in Malaysia. The police clearance certificate must be issued in the country of origin.
One should note that Malaysian citizens can vote in UK elections because Malaysia was a former British colony. Having a Malaysian passport, therefore, comes with varied benefits.
You might want to watch the following video presentation:
Is it hard to obtain citizenship in Malaysia?
Even though the citizenship application process is not complex, in some cases, the government might reject a few of them. Specific verifications are made in this sense, and candidates also need to demonstrate knowledge of the Malay language.
We mention that Malaysia does not recognize dual citizenship. As such, getting the Malaysian citizenship means renouncing the original nationality. Additional information about the procedures involved can be discussed with our local lawyers with experience in immigration matters.
Getting permanent residence in Malaysia
- Having permanent residence in Malaysia means that there is no need to renew the visa.
- Living in Malaysia for at least 5 years without interruptions is mandatory.
- Getting married to a Malaysian citizen grants permanent residency in Malaysia.
- Foreigners with permanent residence in Malaysia can start their own businesses in this country.
- There is no need for a work permit if permanent residence in Malaysia is granted.
Foreigners interested in obtaining permanent residence in Malaysia can get in touch with our Malaysian attorneys for legal advice. Also, extra details about how to get citizenship in Malaysia can be provided by our team. We are here to help you immigrate to Malaysia in 2024.
Short facts about immigration in Malaysia in 2024
- According to statistics for 2020, there are more than 3,48 million immigrants in the country.
- More than 32 million citizens are living in Malaysia.
- Malaysia represents around 0.42% of the total population of the world.